Total Pageviews

Friday 11 December 2015

Make Up tips, Products and My Favourite MUA's

This week's article is on make up.  I don't wear make up unless I am going somewhere really special so getting it right is very important to me.  I've tried many brands and variations.  Here are my favourites.


MUA Pro-Base from Superdrug do a great range for coverage, I like their creamy Argan Flush Concealer available in many shades which is particularly good for under eye dark circles.  It also delivers moisture for fine lines. MUA Pro-Base Prime and Conceal has a palette of colours which can be finger applied to hide imperfections and redness, it blends really  well.  I also use the MUA Pro-Base Eye Primer to keep eye shadow in place and long lasting.


The next brand I really like is Fresh Minerals which I found at Cool Contours Clinic in Windsor when I was having some treatments and couldn't resist buying as they had a sale.  Fresh Minerals boasts organic and natural ingredients.  As my skin is oily, I use the mineral powder foundation with a good brush.  There is also a liquid base foundation.  There are a few shades to choose from.  It's lightweight on the skin and you can't feel that heavy "cakey" feeling, it looks so natural and give the skin a healthy looking glow.  This make up is good for the pores allowing the skin to breathe and also the mineral content in a good skin conditioner. 

If you prefer a liquid foundation, I have found one that covers well without feeling heavy and allows the skin to breath.  It's pricey, but worth it.  Vichy Dermablend SPF35 16 hour oxidating foundation which is to be applied with a make up sponge.  This is a treatment and protection as well as coverage and is available from Boots.

I was recently sent a contour sculpt and slim kit from Daniel Sandler and I must say I love it!  It has a dark shade for pushing back the features you want to hide and a highlighter to push forward the features you want to shine.  For example; blend dark shadow below the cheekbones to sink that part back and highlight the top of the cheekbone to bring that part forward giving you exaggerated cheekbones.  This is a long lasting product with good ingredients which comes in a classy compact with a mirror and free good quality brush.   Daniel Sandler make up artist to the stars' range is known to have won many awards. (www.danielsandler.com )

I also use Fresh Minerals for eye shadow, again there are many colours to choose from, but as I am a brunette I stick to neutrals and earthy browns.  The eye shadow doesn't tend to sit in the creases around the eyes as it is of mineral content which is good for "older" eyes.  Also for "hooded" eyes, give the illusion of a higher crease by taking a darker shade and making a crease higher above your natural crease and finish with a highlighting shade just on the brow bone.  (I use brushes to blend from the Sue Moxley range - she has an excellent brush kit in her range.  Sue Moxley is an ex-model and beauty expert/writer from Essex and part of a singing duo with her husband David Van Day from 80's band's Dollar and Bucks Fizz).  Sue sent me her range a while back and I am really impressed.  ( www.suemoxleybeauty.co.uk  )

I like to use a liquid liner on my top eye lids close to my lash line and for this I use long lasting and water proof 2True black from Superdrug.  If I want a smoky effect I will smudge it and go over with a sharper line.  Then I use a white soft eyeliner on my water line to make my eyes look bigger and sweep a small line of dark eye shadow below my bottom lash line from outer corner to middle keeping the line soft.  For a more dramatic effect in the evening I will use a dark grey soft eyeliner on my lower lash line and a black pencil liner inside my upper lash line.  (Any good quality liner will do).

After curling my top lashes I use Younique Fibre Lash Mascara rather than false lashes as it's easier, quicker and gives a softer, more natural effect.  This consists of a black base gel for the fibres to stick to and a fibre top coat in two separate tubes with brushes.  Don't go too crazy with the fibres as they will drop onto your cheeks if you apply too much!  This was send to me by Gemma Graham from GG Hair Extension Supplies in Plymouth  to trial.  ( www.lashbashandmakeupparty.com 01752 564639).  As I find false eyelashes fiddly, awkward and too fake looking, I absolutely love this mascara!

My brows are tattooed on, so I don't need to work hard on them. I like to use a bit of powder from the Perfect Brow Compact from Avon.  This has a wax and a powder with a double ended brush to apply.  I've got friends who have used this product and like the finished effect too.   However I have another product up my sleeve!  Moonstruck Precision Brow Gel from unique.  It contains fibres which adhere to your brows making them look naturally fuller and is available for blondes and brunettes.  (I only learnt of this when my friend Kelly Dempsey threw a make up party - she has a page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Missy-Ds-beauty- and you can also message her on https://www.facebook.com/kelly.atkin (It's worth mentioning that a percentage of the proceeds from selling this make up goes to women of domestic abuse).

For blush, again I go back to the Fresh Minerals range in a neutral peachy tone to give my cheeks a natural and healthy glow, it's not too heavy.  Then I use the same range for either lip stick or gloss depending on the occasion in the same sort of shade.  (Normally I use a lip liner, but as my lips are lined and blushed with SPMU-tattooed on make up, there isn't always a need for this.

To finish I use Fresh Minerals loose translucent powder.  (You can also get Mineral Powder Foundation and Loose Powder from Avon.  I have tried both, but I prefer the Fresh Minerals range).

And there you have it!  My guide to make up.  My advice on application is practice makes perfect and looking up make up tutorials on You Tube really helps.  (Two of my favourite make up artists are Donna Bull http://www.facebook.com/donnabullmakeupartist and NJ Wells of Lipstick Vixens https://www.facebook.com/Lipstick-Vixens , both are on my Facebook). 

Remember to blend well and use foundation/powder on neck and chest as well as face so as you don't leave a make up line around the jaw.  Always choose colours which will bring out your natural features and will match your hair colour and skin tone to look naturally beautiful.

As seen in the Havering Post newspaper,  www.netmums.com and www.hornchurchlife.co.uk
 

No comments:

Post a Comment