Total Pageviews

Monday, 12 August 2013

My take on "Benefits Britain 1949"

My take on "Benefits Britain 1949"  I watched this program tonight and felt so strongly about it that I just had to write a blog post reviewing it.

This program is a waste of time. Taking the focus off who actually put this country in a bad place financially in the first place...the bankers, the Labour Government and the Coalition Government for letting it all happen and still go on and on....

A scape goat/distraction is required, so the poor, the ill/sick, the disabled and the retired are called on for that. That's how it looks to me.
This program is totally out of context too as how will the benefits they had in the days of 1949 reflect today's inflation?

I am appauled at how disabled and ill people were discriminated against back in 1949, but it is clear to see that in these times they are still discriminated against. You only have to look at the practices of ATOS and the DWP as evidence of that.
I was pleased to see an actual physician assessing the physical abilities of the disabled man. When ATOS are involved, usually an inappropriate medical professional is given the task of assessing a disabled or ill claimant, one that is not trained for the particular illness. All GP and medical evidence is thus dismissed as the assessor's opinion is taken over all evidence as the truth.

Of course the disabled man can take a desk job, but how many people are going for that desk job and will he get it? Unfortunately there are not enough jobs around in 2013 for the amount of unemployed people and the Jobcentre will not always allow you to pick and choose. When I applied for JSA, having two small children and no money for child care, I was told that I was not allowed to work part time and fit my job around my children.

On the point of pensioners, I believe that even now they are treated poorly. The pension is not enough to live on honestly when you pit it against inflation and unfortunately not all people have been able to afford to save in a private pension. Now the Government are slowly raising the age of retirement, I fear that in the future retirement will probably be a luxury and not a necessity for elderly people, thus working until they expire and solving the problem of funding pensions for the Government.

It's all well and good to say that an elderly person requires a nursing home, but they have to sell their house in order to pay for it, the house they worked for all their lives to pay for. What a waste of a life.

It was said that these days the employees involved in the benefits system are more compassionate? I question that. Only today I saw a Twitter account from a person who works at a Jobcentre. She was revelling in the fact she had visably upset somebody by taking their benefits away. She was speaking to a fellow Jobcentre employee who described stopping somebody's benefits as "Bliss". You only have to Google the word ATOS to see how the sick and disabled are treated. David Cameron the Prime Minsister has already publicly described the unemployed as "Shirkers". The whole system and the attitudes stink.

I found the whole program quite patronising. And next week social housing is about to be addressed? I just can't bear to watch another episode. With overcrowding and the bedroom tax, this system in 2013 is a contradiction. If a person with three bedrooms wants to downsize to a two bedroom property and do a swap with a family that has two children in order to avoid bedroom tax, the family with two children could end up paying that bedroom tax. That is because the social housing law states that same sex siblings can share a bedroom until the age of sixteen and opposite sex siblings can share a bedroom until the eldest child is ten years old. Thus making one of the siblings bedrooms that the child is physically occupying a spare room in the eyes of the housing law. All of the housing laws need a huge overhaul to be fair to the tenants.

1 comment:

  1. 'I am appauled at how disabled and ill people were discriminated against back in 1949'

    My understanding is that they were treated a lot better; 95% in work and a lot of individual support in finding work/training.

    I'm unemployed and have Asperger's syndrome - I wish the benefits system was much more like it was in 1949.

    ReplyDelete